“You’ve got to cultivate, develop and protect your heart.” Some of you may recall a few posts in which I’ve mentioned my virtual mentor, Michael Hyatt. He writes a terrifically inspirational blog and delivers a series of free podcasts that are outstanding resources. I recently listened to his podcast: The Importance of the Leader’s Heart. Michael is a former CEO of a large company, renown speaker and a best-selling author.
Why do I recommend your taking time to listen to this? Consider the following:
- Michael is has the top leadership blog in the world.
- His blog gets 300,000 visitors per month.
- His podcasts gets downloaded 120,000 times per month.
- He has 75,000 subscribers to his daily updates.
- He has 145,000 followers on Twitter.
- He has 25,000 Facebook “fans.”
While the topic may seem too business-focused for some, I was surprised at how relevant this is for families. Michael’s podcast will speak to you if you’re a business leader, but also if you’re leading your household. His discussion includes some insightful comments about how valuable your heart is. He’ll provide a collection of great quotes from the Bible to Dr. Seuss.
Whether you’re dealing with a divorce, a job change or even simply looking to further develop your overall effectiveness as a parent or organizational leader, this podcast is worth the time it’ll take to listen to it. I think it’d be a great early morning inspiration (over a cup of coffee, of course). Anytime he refers to a “company,” think household. If he says “leader,” think parent. If he mentions “employees,” think children. The correlation is very interesting.
Michael’s podcast identifies 5 important truths about your heart:
- Truth #1: Your heart is the essence of your identity.
- Truth #2: Your heart is the most valuable leadership tool you have.
- Truth #3: Your heart directly impacts your influence.
- Truth #4: Your heart is either healthy or unhealthy.
- Truth #5: Your heart is under constant attack.
I hope you’ll take some time to enjoy his presentation.